Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Album of the Year


For the record my album of the year has to be Midlake's The Trials of Van Occupanther.

It's expansive musically and lyrically. It's narrative seems to relay the story of the character Van Occupanther and his wilderness existence in late 19th Century America. It's probably metaphorical (and I may be well off the mark) but I like to imagine myself there with him. It makes me think of Henry David Thoreau's Walden. It speaks across time too; human trials and tribulations being what they are...

'Let me not be consumed with this world
Sometimes I want to go home
And stay out of sight
For a long time'

I know how that feels.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed Mr Rhodes, agreed. Lee Gibbons.

5:21 PM, April 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home