Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Is 'Asboville' Teen Fiction?


A genuine question this and one that I'm hoping might generate a few comments...

It's a teenage love story with teenage characters doing the things teenagers do, but does that mean it's a teen novel? It's been spotted in the teen section of some bookshops and in the general fiction section of others. It was promoted by Waterstones as a Paperback of the Year and as general fiction. On their website it is listed under fiction. It has been reviewed as teenage fiction in some places but reviewers have commented that it isn't teenage fiction at all.

I've been in schools who have used it with year 7 classes, year 8 classes, year 9 classes and year 10 classes. It has been promoted by some as a great book for boys but girls seem to like it. The cover has been criticised for trying to be teen trendy and celebrated for being original.

So what is it? And does it matter? I'm just asking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Rhodes said...

Nothing wrong with that...except if that is the case then I'd like to see it in a few more 'young adult' sections of book shops. But I'm learning to live with it. I am now able to resist the temptation to visit my local Waterstones each and every time I pass it.

It's time to focus all my attentions on the next book...

9:30 AM, March 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home